On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Brian Wood <woodbrian77 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The sense I got was that Brian was managing a website with static
> > .html pages. If I were to script this particular step, I would write a
> > Python script to FTP the file down to /tmp, modify it, and then FTP it
> > back up.
> >
> > You could also do this with a shell script, and use sed to do the
> modification.
>
> I'm using a shell script and the sed option is what I'm pursuing at the
> moment.

The easiest might be to have a separate template and and output file. The
template would have something like MD5SUM_GOES_HERE where you want the md5
sum, then the command would simply be

cat template.html | sed "s/MD5SUM_GOES_HERE/`md5sum direct.tar.bz2`/g" >
output.html

Sounds like you're already headed down another path, but if that doesn't
work out, you've got other options.

Michael
--
http://fridleyfarmer.com -- The Fridley Farmer