The sense I got was that Brian was managing a website with static
.html pages. If I were to script this particular step, I would write a
Python script to FTP the file down to /tmp, modify it, and then FTP it
back up.

You could also do this with a shell script, and use sed to do the modification.

On top of that, there are probably a million other ways to do it...