On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 1:56 AM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jan 2012, Thomas Lunde wrote:
>
>> Step 1. Buy a HD HomeRun
>> Step 2. Install Mythbuntu
>>
>> There is no step 3
>>
>> ;-)
>

> I like the concise answer.  Apparently others agree that HD HomeRun is the
> thing I need.  So now I'm trying to understand it.  I guess I can get this
> for about $200:
>
> http://www.silicondust.com/products/models/hdhr3-cc/
>
> Does "three tuners" make it possible to record up to three shows at the same
> time?
>
> What is reception like?  Does this need an antenna, or is it its own
> antenna.

Note - that is the cable card model.  Thats a whole different beast.
Tis meant for getting access to digital, encrypted cable signals. In
fact, I think that exact model doesn't even have a OTA tuner.

You probably want this: http://www.silicondust.com/products/models/hdhr3-us/

And yes, it will record two different channels at the same time.  I'd
recommend having gigabit networking, however....