Ryan may be on to something.
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=403.025&year=2011&keyword_type=all&keyword=Emergency+phone+service

 Subdivision three of statute 403.025 states:
Subd. 3.Connected telecommunications service provider requirements. Every owner and operator of a wire-line or wireless circuit switched or packet-based telecommunications system connected to the public switched telephone network shall design and maintain the system to dial the 911 number without charge to the caller.

That seems to at least infer that I should be able to disconnect my line and still be able to dial 911 in an emergency.

Someone else suggested the @CenturyLinkHelp twitter account. I'm going to hit them up and confirm as well.

--
G. Scott Walters