It's pretty well accepted that multiple iterations of dd'ing from /dev/zero
over the whole disk will sufficiently eradicate the data. Ideally  you want
to destroy the platters, e.g. with a nailgun/drill/hammer, and grind them
up really well =) Besides, it's a pretty good time going to town on some
old drives with a sledge hammer.