Just to clarify, I tend to only throw away drives that are already
problematic (suffered a failure) or are obsolete (old scsi drives from old
macs, whatever).  I know even then that's no guarantee that bits won't be
recovered from a determined agent with deep pockets.  I view it more of a
deterrent along the lines of a lock on a screen door - it keeps out the
casual thieves. ;)  Plus, I get a small amount of pleasure in disassembling
and destroying high-precision electronics.  Especially if it's a drive that
caused me problems.   The only part of my process I wondered about was the
magnets.  I use pretty strong ones, but even then I wasn't sure if they
were adding any value.  Sounds like "probably not".

So, yeah... probably overkill.  But it amuses me.

Speaking of strong magnets, at my previous employer the "fun cube toys"
were magnets from inside end-of-lifed or failed hard disks.  There are some
pretty strong magnets in there - at least in the drives we were using five
years ago or so.

-Rob