I gotta say, physically destroying drives is serious overkill for the home
user. If your company has something to prove to a regulatory body or are
worried about legal requirements, sure, physically destroy the drives. If
you're just wiping it because you may have had some personal info on it, a
one-pass wipe is more than sufficient. Wipe the drives and donate them a
center that builds computers for people in need. Or put them in an external
case and give them to your relatives for backups. We use a 3 pass wipe with
DBAN at work, it's plenty.

Your personal data is probably worth a couple hundred bucks on the black
market. It'll cost several thousand dollars to do data recovery on your old
drive, and even that probably won't work if you wipe it once,
and definitely won't work if you did a 3 or 7 pass wipe. The economics of
data theft means it just doesn't pay to do. Recovering wiped data (really
wiped, not just data on a dead drive) is only done by organizations with
major resources - like big corporations or governments - and only for
critical projects.

Also, if you're paranoid enough to destroy a drive, you better run it
through a chipper. Circuit boards can be replaced, drilled platters can be
read in a clean room (minus the hole, of course), and running commodity
magnets over drives generally does not do anything. You need a serious
electromagnet and even that is sometimes not enough. My coworkers ran tests
with magnetic coils and it didn't do anything to the drives at all.

--Adam