On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 11:52:29 -0600 (CST)
Yaron <tclug at freakzilla.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Dec 2011, Florin Iucha wrote:
>
> > I got NetBSD to run on mine at some point - and I know the OpenBSD
> > folks got it working as well.
>
> I've got Linux running on MIPS hardware, but I really wanted IRIX
> on this thing. IRIX had some pretty cool visual demos that were
> just super cool, especially for the time, and I wanted to play with
> those. Anyone remember Electropaint?

Yeah, I do.  Cut my teeth on SGI.  Back in the day I was a student
worker at college for the Unix admin and we setup about 2 dozen O2's
and other SGI's, Indigo's and Indy's for CSCI and Physics.  I am
actually now the sys admin there and we still have two of these O2's
in the physics department.  Physics is always the last to cling to old
computer stuff.  :)  They were nifty boxes.  My first job out of
college was actually for a place doing development on SGI's, had one
of the big servers, an Origin.  I *might* have some IRIX cd's laying
around somewhere if you're interested.

Those were the days...

Happy new year,

Josh