Last week I was troubleshooting what I believed to be a lirc problem
with a MCE USB remote (vrc-1100). I could get the remote to work with
lirc on one workstation, a Mint 10 install, but not on other devices. On
my mini Zotac box and Mint 9 laptop, the play and pause button would not
work for MythTV. On the Zotac box and now my Dell XPS laptop (Both Mint
12), a stop sign like alert would pop up on my screen each time I
pressed the pause or play button.

I discovered this morning (after purging lirc) it is not a lirc problem
at all, but some other program running that is processing IR commands.
I'm somewhat of a novice with IR and thought lirc was needed for IR, but
that is not the case. The same buttons work with or without lirc
installed, as well as the pop ups when pressing play or pause.

Apparently this is why I cannot get my remote to work properly.

Anybody a pro with IR able to tell me how to get past this problem?

Raymond