when i ran a mail server a couple years ago yes those were an issue.  SPF
and DKIM might address it.  i went to google apps.

for the office and openvz container mail servers i still run (where spam
filtering is already done or a non-issue) i went from
postfix/maildrop/courier back to sendmall/dovecot.  lighter weight, and i
never found postfuss (Swype chose that!) easier than sendmail.

gmail filtering is not as nice as maildrop, but i sure don't miss monkeying
with spamassassin.