On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 03:30:30PM -0600, Erik Mitchell wrote:
> While my gmail account is my primary account for email, and I expect
> it will continue to be, I have been thinking about setting up a mail
> server for some other domains that I own, and experimenting with
> various web mail servers as well as traditional mail clients.
>
> Does anyone have any strong preferences for mail server? I have
> postfix installed as my MDA, and I don't have any desire to change
> from that. I'm looking at POP3 and IMAP servers though. I've used
> Courier in the past. I'm interested in trying the GNU mailutils
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/mailutils/mailutils.html).
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

I'm using the GNU mailutils to provide a real-time IMAP <> mbox
service, mutt for most e-mail going straight to the mboxes, and
Squirrelmail to the IMAP for webmail.

I've been happy with that arrangement for some time.  The only time I
had any problems with it, it was because the IMAP server portion was
down and it took me forever to realize it.  Didn't even bother to try
to figure out why - it was probably something I'd done and forgotten.

--
Scott Raun
sraun at fireopal.org