Postfix + Dovecot for pop/imap server. It is way better than courier.
Dovecot also has a very Postfixy feel.

If you just want to play around with other mail clients (webmails and
local apps) why not continue to use the gmail system? You can host your
domains (or even just test subdomains) on there no problem instead of
setting up and learning new mail systems, unless of course you're also
interested in learning about that as well but that was not in your
stated intent.