I am a big fan of Qmail. I find it an intuitive and well-designed system.
If you use it, use QmailToaster, and everything will go together really
nice.

That said, the vast majority of *nix geeks disagree and prefer Postfix
instead. You'll find better documentation and less pain down that route.

-Josh