Hi there,

I didn't see any other responses to your question which leads me to believe that perhaps nobody else really understood what exactly you're trying to do. If you want to clarify maybe we can all come up with something.

I'm just wanting to create a server that can handle many linux accounts (desktop, storage, customizations, even ~/homedir software installs). As it is now, we have 4 MSWindows computers with no login, of course. I'd like to convert at least those 4 to Linux clients (thin, virtual, fat, whatever, bootable pen drive). Eventually I'd like to have this server host accounts for anyone in the community who wants one. So far nothing different than any common linux network. The interesting question I had was, Can such a server actually be hosted in a cloud service, or are speeds not adequate for that sort of thing?

Olwe
GM,MN

PS: We're getting all our winter snow in one batch!

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012, Olwe Bottorff wrote:

> I'm suggesting to our local library that we build a Linux network for
> patrons to have their own accounts. Now if someone wants Internet access
> (browsing the Web), they can use one of our 4 MS PCs -- after signing in.
> Yeah. . . . Question(s): Could a server for such a beast be run on a cloud
> server (Amazon etc.), or should it be local? Also, is there a quick and easy
> way for non-site users on MS/Apple to log in? Could some sort of bootable
> stick drive be set up, or perhaps a cygwin install? I'm no sysadmin at all.
> . . .
>
> Olwe
> GM,CC,MN,NoShore

-Yaron