Sell the Pre.  Don't hang onto technology that is obsolete for you.  Should
be a way to "politely" shut it down so another Sprint subscriber could
easily activate it without getting your data.   I bought several early 3G
smartphones off ebay that way.  Had no trouble at all getting Sprint to
enter the changed hardware code for my account to activate one.  Did that
when I'd break one.

> But what exactly stops working if I drop my
> plan?  Do apps fail even if I'm using WiFi instead of Sprint
> networking?  Do any of you have any experience with this?

Dunno.  My old Samsung I330 wasn't that smart or that well-connected.  It
just goes to a stand-alone Palm mode.

Chuck