If you're thinking the tablet size might be too big, I would second
the used Android phone idea.
I have had an iPad, and I have an iPhone, and they've got the polished
interface and pretty styling down perfectly, but I also have a Nook
Color running Cyanogenmod 7, and a second-hand HTC Inspire 4G running
an Alpha build of CM9 that I just use with Wifi and that is pretty
much my favorite device, despite being kind of old.  I think I paid
about $100 for it, and didn't have to sign a contract, since it was
second-hand.
If you use Google services, Android is the best mobile OS at syncing
your stuff over wireless (wifi/3g/4g as the case may be) and working
nice.  You just log in once on the device, and select which services
you want to sync to your phone.  I also highly recommend using a ROM
rather than the manufacturer's and original carrier's junk.
If you'd like to try before you buy, you are welcome to poke at one of
my devices for a while to see how you think it works for you.
The other nice thing about using an Android phone but running Wifi
only is they get excellent battery life.  They're designed to be able
to be using cellular signal all the time, and that uses a lot of
battery, so I can go 3-6 days between charges on a phone that would
barely make it through the day when using cell signal.  That still
depends upon how much you use it, though.  The screen actually uses
much more battery than the cell radio, but it only does so when you
are actively using it.
Also, they've been hard at work on Cyanogenmod for the TouchPad, but
as I recall it ends up being about as big as an iPad.
- Justin