See the two messages below.  They are about the U's new Chief Information
Officer (CIO).  Even if you have nothing to do with the U at this time,
you should consider that it is the major place around here where people
learn about computing -- people you might hire, who might work with you,
or who might end up hiring you someday.  The importance of universities as
training grounds that have a life-long influence on computing choices is
not lost on the corporate software industry, and they have the money and
interest to take advantage of the situation.

I am very impressed with the new CIO's qualifications.  What do you think?
It seems to me that this is a good opportunity to try to persuade him to
think more in terms of promoting Linux systems and free software on campus
than have our previous CIOs.  Another really important goal (related to
Linux/FOSS) should be to promote computing systems that rely more on local
staff and less on global corporations.

Enhancement of computing freedom for our faculty, staff and students
should be a priority.  What happened to our shell accounts and web servers
and so on?  Were they really a huge security risk that our IT staff
couldnt' handle, or was that just the excuse corporate lobbyists used to
persuade university IT administrators to dump Linux/Apache in favor of
corporate solutions?  Can IT staff be persuaded to accept their new
corporate overlords because of the promise of a reduced work load?  And
then can those same IT staff be layed off as a cost-saving measure now
that their labor is not as badly needed and some guy in India can answer
our phone calls on the cheap?  Where will all of this be going?  In my
view, *now* would be a good time to do something.

I am interested in hearing your views.  I plan to write to the new CIO
about my concerns and I hope some of you will do the same.  Thanks.

Best,
Mike