Sure it would trump fair use.  What part of ripping an image out of a
slideshow they present to you as your (possible) final product purchased
has anything to do with commentary, criticism, news reporting, research,
teaching, library archiving and scholarship?  I say possible because I
don't know the specs of the contract.  If the contract stated we will take
pictures for 4 hours and produce a slide show for your use, you are paying
for the slideshow and hourly wage of the photographer.  Your final product
you have rights to is the slideshow as is.

Just like when researching for wedding photographers, finding one where we
retained full rights to the images was goal #1.  Most of the time this is
not the case and it is their property to use and distribute as they see
fit.  You purchase a package (time, # of photos to edit/print) and the rest
you buy photo by photo for reproduction.

Just talk to the photographer and be done with it.  If they're cool with it
you'll either get downloads or a cd/dvd of the images and you're set.

Ryan

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Smith, Craig A <Craig.A.Smith at honeywell.com