On Tue, 25 Dec 2012, gregrwm wrote:

> puppy is great when you need it but not really practical if you can do
> any better.
>
> i find lubuntu to be a realistic environment, ubuntu repos available in
> entirety.

In the end, Lubuntu seemed like the best plan for me.  One reason was that
I could make a bootable USB stick very easily from the .iso, but I wasn't
sure I could get a blank CD-R nearly as easily here in Ecuador.  Lubuntu
also fit the bill in other ways -- not too demanding of memory and 12.04
still had a non-PAE kernel.  It took a few tries, but the USB Disk Creator
finally worked and I was excited to install it.

After all that, I was unable to complete the install, which was running
beautifully, because there was an error with the hard drive.  It wasn't
able to write a file to the drive, so it stopped.  I guess it's a bad hard
drive, too, on top of everything else.  It is not easy to get decent
computers down here in Ecuador.

On the bright side -- off to the beach in the morning.  It should be in
the 90s.

Mike