I was very impressed with how easily I installed Ubuntu Desktop AMD64
version 12.10 on the $500 HP laptop we've been talking about.  I used
another Ubuntu box to download an ISO and make a bootable USB.  Then I
booted the HP laptop with the USB stick and installed Ubuntu, killing
Windows 7 (it was a refurb, so Win 7 instead of Win 8).  It found the
wireless networks and used it to bring in updates.  It was super smooth --
never a problem.  Ubuntu has come a long way.

One annoyance:  Hibernate is disabled by default.  I used this page to get
it fixed...

http://nikunjlahoti.com/2012/10/31/enable-hibernation-on-ubuntu-12-10/

...and that worked fine.  I don't know if there will be problems with any
other parts.

Mike