On 12/17 08:24 , Dan Rue wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <
> chrome at real-time.com> wrote:
> >  (This is true even when it's not obvious - a DeWalt power
> > drill bought at Lowe's is not the same drill as one bought at Ace Hardware.
> > Some corners were cut to meet a price point, and the tool will wear out
> > sooner).
> >

> [citation needed]

This is what I was told by my locksmith who heard it from a DeWalt salesman,
and the locksmith said his experience with buying tools bore this out. The
tool from the big-box store is made with flimsier parts and looks the same
on the outside, but is more likely to break sooner.

No, that's not a scientific study; but I've heard plenty of similar stories
for products such as lawn mowers and mattresses. I think there's a
preponderance of evidence in favor of it.

That said, I shop at Lowe's for most things. I, like most people, don't use
my power tools often enough to wear them out.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator