in the 70s, where i was working (kurzweil computer products) the hardware
guys figured we could make processors cheaper, faster, with more memory
than the dg novas we were using, well we sure had issues with both flakey
soft&hardware, so i wrote a diagnostic..  pure memory testing would catch
some errors, but many more shook out once the disc dma was cranking.  are
things different now?  sure, computers can be wrong far faster..  so anyway
while it's nice for ubuntu to bundle a memory test, when my box starts
acting flakey, i find myself wishing for a diagnostic that really kicks
those busses hard.  any recommendations?