> Here is what I need help with:
> * Get NVIDIA Geforce 550 ti to play high quality HDMI audio like it
> does in Windows (it crackles like crazy in Linux) and set up audio
> with script in next item below. My last NVIDIA card had the same sound
> crackles in Linux.

Would a work around be acceptable? Can you run an audio cable separate
from the HDMI?

> * Make BASH script that changes resolution and mirrors (like TwinView)
> DVI monitor and HDMI TV, with xrandr or other CLI tool, to 1280x720
> and then launch media player (I can script well, just need to know
> what options to pass to alter the video and audio components).
> * Have another script that disables the TV output and sets the desktop
> resolution back to native. I will either map this on the remote, run
> on media center exit, or have an icon on the desktop.

If I were doing this, I would probably have my script either:

a) Switch between two monitors. With a single monitor at a time, it
may auto-detect the correct resolution
or
b) Always leave mirror mode on and just change the resolution (though
I do see your tearing comment below)

I have to reinstall Linux (new computer!) or I'd play around with
xrandr and try to give you more specifics

Last time I set up a media PC it was with VGA out and I had to set the
resolution in xorg.conf. If it comes to that and you need a mode line
for xorg.conf, the program you'll be looking for is gtf
(http://linux.die.net/man/1/gtf). It took me forever to find that last
time, but hopefully you won't need it at all.

--
Michael