> Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 13:58:26 -0600
> From: admin at lctn.org
> To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
> Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Virtual Desktop
>
> I appreciate the feed back.
>
> The project is for a school. They seemed to like the idea of the compact
> size of a thin client. After showing them the way video plays, they were
> sure that would not work. I recommended a fanless unit , like a Zotac
> box that they could strapped on the back of a monitor. Seems like that
> would work, but they were hoping to see how VDs would work before making
> a decision.

If you already have MS server licenses for other stuff, Hyper-V + RemoteFX would be a 'free' way to get decent video performance (assuming you have hardware on the server end that meets the requirements: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817602%28v=ws.10%29.aspx).

You'd still end up needing to buy RemoteFX capable thin clients though, which would probably end up being similar in cost to the Zotacs.

SPICE is probably the only real open source option, but the community seems kind of weak. I'd be interested to hear the results if you do give it a try.

Eric