I have a cellphone. I don't use it for MP3, and I don't have a simple way
to transfer files from the phone to the mp3 player.  My phone battery is
going to be stressed enough as it is, with gps tracking. Plus, trip log
updates would be a pain without a keyboard.

Tablets don't have keyboards, and are way too expensive.