On Mon, 30 Apr 2012, gregrwm wrote:
On ? Mike Miller Wrote:
>> Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda
>> Executing 'grub-install /dev/sda' failed
>> This is a fatal error.
>>
>> Everything was being installed to /dev/md0 (/) and /dev/md1 was swap.
>>
>> Apparently, GPT is an alternative to MBR, so that could have something to do with grub-install failing to install GRUB to the MBR.  (Ya think?). So I'm not even sure of why I tried, but I didn't know what else to do at 5 am yesterday morning after fighting with this thing all last night! Now I'm back at it.  I decided to continue the Ubuntu installation after the failed step.  I see this message:
>>
>> "No boot loader has been installed, either because you chose not to or because your specific architecture doesn't support a boot loader yet.
>>
>> "You will need to boot manually with the /vmlinuz kernel on partition /dev/md0 and root=/dev/md0 passed as a kernel argument."

I haven't done this before, but I have read about the need to install grub on
the disks and not the mirror.
http://www.ogalik.ee/installing-grub-on-md-raid-boot-device/

So, you just use a rescue disk to install grub on both real disks.
Not on the RAID.
You might be able to test this using a grub boot disk (usb stick or CD)

Other thoughts along the same line:
http://www.spinics.net/linux/fedora/fedora-users/msg412422.html
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/RAID/NVRAID_with_dmraid#Installing_GRUB
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5