On Sun, 29 Apr 2012, Jeff Jensen wrote:

> What are they?

# rm -rf *

will just do it.

% sudo rm -rf *

will at least prompt you and give you a slight chance of noticing what you
just did.

Using sudo rather than a dedicated root prompt also means that your
following commands are not running as root unless you sudo again.

It also means you'll never forget a terminal logged in as root!

> Are this thread's recommendations even for my home servers, or is this more
> for the shared server environment, a la corporate?

I would whole-heartedy recommend this for any and all UNIX machines.
There's absolutely no reason to be logged in as root.

Best example? It's how Mac OS X is set up. Yeah, there's OS X servers, but
it's really one of the ultimate home environments. There's REALLY no
reason to be logged in as root on a desktop.

I'd almost recommend sudo even MORE on a home environemnt. Corporate
servers are more likely to have professionals working on them who follow
strict protocols. Also they're much more likely to have had a full backup
made.

-Yaron