On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Yaron <tclug at freakzilla.com> wrote:
> This isn't an Ubuntu thing. It's one of the things where Ubuntu is following
> current security protocols.

+1. Couldn't have said it better. Ubuntu has made some bone-headed
moves in their history, but their decision to all but disable root was
not of them.

Unfortunately when I was first cutting my teeth on linux
administration, I chose poorly(tm) and frequently signed into all my
servers as root. I was very fortunately to never have had a major
mishap as a result of this, but that was just pure luck. I've since
broken myself of that habit, and use "sudo su -" only when absolutely
necessary.

When interacting with less experienced linux users (or more
experienced ones who are still using a root prompt), this is one thing
I'll try really, really hard to embed in their minds. By using a root
prompt, you expose yourself to far too many risks and lose out on
several very nice benefits that one gains by using sudo.

-Erik