The youngsters were a couple of engineers leaving for Silicon Valley in
a day or two, so I didn't have a lot of time to figure out Ubuntu. I use
the command "su" for xterm root use, and couldn't get root access in any
way. I looked on the internet how to edit /etc/fstab with Ubuntu. Just a
different system.

I can configure SuSE users to have root priviledge. YAST is a very handy
tool. In KDE, you can open the file browser as root login, and editors
or terminals then open as root.

It was disappointing to frustrate those engineers trying to start linux
with Ubuntu.

Certainly just personal experience. But I would rather spend my time
using linux for programming or learning stuff than trying to get it to
work. It is worth a look to see how much is available in opensuse.