On Fri, 27 Apr 2012, Michael Greenly wrote:

> I've had mixed results with upgrades also.  I've fallen into the
> practice of backing up /home to external storage and doing clean
> installs on fresh partitions.  Then I cherry pick what I want from the
> backup.

Thanks to all.  I have a pretty good back-up method, so I think I'll go
with the fresh-install approach.  There are a few places where I typically
put files that might differ from those in the new installation: /home (of
course), /etc (config files), /usr/local (scripts I've written, programs
I've compiled).  After that there are all the Ubuntu packages to deal
with, but that isn't too big of a problem -- if I forget one, then when I
realize it is missing, I just install it.

I think I'll come visit the installfest for a bit, maybe bring a computer
to play around with.  Having two kids now makes it harder (new boy is 7
months old), but I can bring my daughter (4.5 years) and let her watch
movies on her laptop (wearing headphones).  She's pretty good at that ...
maybe too good.  ;-)

Mike