> At what point is it better to just install the OS from scratch?

in my experience you can sometimes get away with upgrades, but more often
they bite.  lucid to maverick croaked.  it's always better to install from
scratch.  my favorite approach is install in another partition (the
installer can help you shrink an existing partition if you don't already
have one available).  a lean OS install can fit in under a gig, 2g will be
plenty for most any install.  more is better of course, but i've done with
less and done fine.  anyway that way your data, and even your current OS,
are still there, AND you have a fresh and clean install.  i usually finally
reuse the prior partition when i'm ready to install yet another release.