I've always viewed screen as something handy when your console/terminal is
an old-school wyse terminal.  But you guys seem to be using screen/tmux in
the course of every-day work.  In a modern desktop environment with a
window manager, is screen/tmux really better than, say, multiple
xterms/konsoles/etc...?  I guess I can see the advantage of having one big
terminal window open and saving the overhead of window-widgets... but I
often am working in several windows at once and referencing
information/data in each.

In short, I'm not seeing the value but I think it's because my
understanding of the capabilities of the tool and your workflows is
incomplete.  Would one or some of you be willing to describe your workflow
to better illustrate why screen/tmux are so essential to you?

Thanks,
-Rob