On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 04:06:59PM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Apr 2012, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 1 Apr 2012, Florin Iucha wrote:
>>
>>> It seems that you have two RAID devices, md0 and md1, each supported
>>> by one partition on sda.  There is no other physical disk present, so
>>> the arrays are in degraded state.  They 'work', but only one disk is
>>> present.  You have no protection.  You have no second drive.
>>
>> If you are right, that means the message I sent back in October about
>> how to do the RAID1 did not work for me.
>
> Here's that message from October:
>
> http://shadowknight.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2011-October/061034.html
>
> Does anyone see anything wrong in it?

I am not sure.

You have done this:

   sudo mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level 1 --raid-devices 2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 --metadata=0.90
   sudo mdadm --create /dev/md1 --level 1 --raid-devices 2 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2 --metadata=0.90

http://www.devil-linux.org/documentation/1.0.x/ch01s05.html says this:

   mdadm --create /dev/md0 --chunk=64 --level=raid1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/hda1 /dev/hdc1

which seems to match the man page: http://linux.die.net/man/8/mdadm

My impression is that you need to either use the short version of the
arguments and then a space and then the value, or the long version
separated by = from the actual value.  In other words

   -l 1
   --level=1
   --level=raid1

are OK.  You entered "--level 1", which may work or may not - I have
no system to test it on right now.

Cheers,
florin

--
Beware of software written by optimists!