I really wish I could have made it to this past installfest and have
had the opportunity to talk to people about their experiences using
Ubuntu.

 From reading most of the responses, I am not convinced or does it
encourage me to want to install Ubuntu on my desktop.

I finally outgrew Gentoo <3 (only as a desktop :P), I ran Arch for a
year at work (hated pacman and their mirrors) and finally have Fedora
14 installed. I don't want to exaggerate, but *Fedora* with Xfce is
the shizz.

To date, I've had no problems with the audio, nVidia drivers, nor have
had to mess with xorg or any desktop settings. It's running rock solid
with minor tuning.

I don't know if my opinion counts really since all I've been running
for the past 5 years was Gentoo with Fluxbox. Why aren't more people
encouraging beginners to install Fedora?

More recently, I overheard in a technical conference a couple of
techies mention that they converted all of their work servers to
Ubuntu. I guess its been out a long time. Am I being naive by
dismissing it? Is it really as desirable as a server as much as it is
a desktop?

I find it hard to believe reading that Red Hat's rpm "didn't make the
grade" with this company...

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/casestudies/equitec-financial-services-chooses-ubuntu-server