>They'll know something about web sites I visit, and maybe
>they'll tell the CIA.  They'll know about my political
>attitudes and who my friends are.  But then what?

A comprehensive database of citizen's political attitudes and friends would
be immensely beneficial for an authoritarian government attempting to censor
ideas, parties and even people. The threat may seem hyperbolic right now,
but thirty or more or even less years from now, Facebook's databases could
be used to identify 'innocent' civilians as 'opposition' -- for simply being
friends with somebody twenty years ago, even if they haven't communicated
with them in over twenty years. I don't intend to sound like a conspiracy
theorist, but the scenario I describe as a response to "But then what?"
seems, to me, like a practical, cost-effective solution for any government
or entity attempting to preserve power and curb dissent. I'm not sure why
some social networks log *all* activity of user's Friends List, because a
couple well-placed subpoenas or (il)legal confiscations of server equipment
would give any tyrannical regime more than enough information to persecute
its critics and prevent an opposing political party from forming and
communicating.
-djs