Quoting djs <djsteinhafel at gmail.com>:

>> We can see the value in the free-to-us service provided by Facebook,
>> but the cost is hidden.  It's hidden well enough that I, an
>> inveterate Facebooker, don't know what it is.  Will I be sorry
>> someday?  What is going to happen to me?  I see the advertisements
>> and I guess that's part of the price I'm paying, but that doesn't
>> bother me.  Should it?  It's like that with Google, too.
>>
>> I'm not poo-pooing the privacy issue.  I really don't see what can go
>> wrong for me, so I'm asking.
>
> The Facebook service collects thousands of pages of information about
> each of her users. This blog post explains 22 privacy concerns from the
> perspective of Irish law: www.identityblog.com/?p=1201
>
> The main concerns, as I see the situation, is that Facebook tracks every
> website you go to that has Facebook like/dislike buttons on it, even if
> you don't click the buttons, using web cookies iirc. Also, all site
> changes (privacy settings) opt-in users, so their account's privacy
> settings change even if they haven't logged in due to being out of town
> or similar. And that they never delete information even after you ask
> them to, they only hide it from you. Like said in the video, "No KGB or
> CIA ever had 1200 pages about an average citizen." (They do now.)
>
> As far as I can tell, Facebook doesn't provide a service that can't
> be recreated relatively easily by someone with web programming skills.
> Public and private messaging, image uploads, groups, event rsvp...
> most of the other "features" (face recognition, facebook apps/games)
> look like bloat to me and may even be considered detrimental to
> usability and user/site efficiency/performance.
>
> I had used Facebook in 2005-2009 but deleted the account

I am sure you know this, but there is no such thing as *deleting* your
facebook account. I too went back and forth between canceling my
account and signing back in as nothing happened, which is quite a nice
*feature* that facebook provides.

I guess it's just a matter of how much you really value your online
privacy, and civil rights at that.