Hi Jason,

First, let me tell you a little about a younger version of myself.  Young
Rob was raised in a culturally conservative climate where "commie" was the
worst kind of slur you could sling at someone, to the point where "commie"
and "bad" were interchangeable in sentences.  And REAL commies could not
fathom the superiority of our economic and political processes due to some
inherent flaw in their DNA.  And Young Rob knew this because he lived in
rural Minnesota and when he turned on the TV to watch the evening news, the
news he and everyone else who was watching TV at that  moment in time were
seeing - it was in fact the news from Fargo (NOT the SIN CITIES!).  That
obviously meant culture and intellectual thought flowed  from Fargo the way
it did from Rome at the height of another great civilization and empire.
Years later Young Rob learned of localized television markets and marveled
at his ignorance and ethnocentrism, but slept soundly at night knowing his
contempt for commies was still justified..

Linux and capitalistic ideals.  I think Linux isn't quite the right context
for a conversation about Capitalism and choice.  I think Linux is a very
useful context when you talk about distributed software engineering and
project management and the power of the GPL.  But I think the concepts that
are more applicable to the ideas you're talking about are Freedom, the Gnu
Public License, and the Noosphere.

First off, when I talk about Freedom, I'm talking about choice.  Capitalism
is often conflated with the concept of freedom because you are considered
"free to make a profit".  But not everyone's freedom's are being protected
in a capitalistic/"free-market" society - especially in a society where the
political parties are proxies for corporate interests who insist that
"freedom to make a profit" is "the most important freedom".

As you noted, you have a lot of freedom and choices in the Linux world, and
that's thanks to the GPL, which is preventing people from taking choices
away from you.  It was a lack of choice and freedom that inspired Stallman
to come up with the GPL in the first place.  For Stallman, it was the lack
of choice regarding the software running on a printer he owned.

As an aside - on a personal note, I find it ironic that one of the things I
hate the most - copyright - has done the most good for our society with
respect to protecting people's choices about contributions they make to FOSS
projects.

Anyway - the GPL.  It does world good, because it keeps people's
contributions in the public domain.  Now take a step back and look at the
number of people who have contributed hours upon hours of effort to the
public domain via the GPL for no economic gain and ask yourself "Why would
they do that?"  (Because they're stupid communists!  HA! :) ).  Well, maybe
look at this question from a historical context, because now becoming a
major contributor to a FOSS project can very easily lead to a job offer
because a lot of the big FOSS projects have corporations sitting behind them
selling services at an enterprise level.  So - take away the "a very long
job interview" angle and what are you left with?  Why are people motivated
to interact and contribute on these projects?

Eric Raymond realized there was an id-friendly ego-stroke dimension to it
all as well.  He coined the term "noosphere" and described some of the
motivations for developer activity on these projects from the point of view
of psychology and sociology in a paper entitled "Homestead the Noosphere".
I found it to be a very interesting read, and I think you would too if you
haven't read it yet.   Especially since I think it speaks to some of your
motivations for working on Swift Linux.

http://catb.org/~esr/writings/homesteading/homesteading/

Once you're done with that, I would suggest you check out "The Cathedral and
the Bazaar", which relates the FOSS development model to the Microsoftian
(among other corporations) models.

http://catb.org/~esr/writings/homesteading/

Enjoy!

-Rob