USB flash-based drives is where things are headed, I think - for
retail purchases, anyway.  Not all of us have fast internet
connections (My parents are still on a 1.5Mbit/896Kbps DSL line,
26,000 foot loop when 18,000 feet is the limit) - and Microsoft is
VERY much aware of this fact.

I could picture a 'current installer' on the drive, but it will
auto-download the latest if newer is available.  (Or giving you the
option, based on your connection speed, as the best of both worlds;
perhaps then downloading the updates in the background for immediate
install upon finishing installation?)

Thumb drives, while more expensive than DVDs, are infinitely more
reusable, and update-able.  Blu-Ray won't take off simply because A)
the cost of the drives and B) they're not a common enough drive.  The
ONLY person I've known who got one did so only because he makes movies
- and for High-Def, that is the current standard used for making
disc-based video.  (He can then cut it down to DVD after-the-fact)

I won't be buying a Blu-Ray device - something with a built-in
remote-control suicide switch.

I've got a 7Mbit pipe - I'm MORE interested in getting a faster upload
- 896Kbps is pitiful.  I want 5Mbit, or 10Mbit would be AWESOME!