Quoting David Alanis <canito at dalan.us>:

> Hello All-
>
> I am running a test using lvm2, specifically using the pvmove command.
>
> What I've done is added drive sdb1 to my volume group vg_rh6
>
> # vgextend vg_rh6 /dev/sdb1
> No physical volume label read from /dev/sdb1
> Physical volume "/dev/sdb1" successfully created
> Volume group "vg_rh6" successfully extended
>
> I then created a logical volume lv_datas
>
> # lvcreate -L 250m -n lv_datas vg_rh6
> Rounding up size to full physical extent 252.00 MiB
> Logical volume "lv_datas" created
>
> I format my logical volume lv_datas
>
> # mkfs.ext4 /dev/vg_rh6/lv_datas
>
> And finally mount it
>
> # mount /dev/vg_rh6/lv_datas /mnt/lvdata/
>
> I copy data over
>
> # cp -R /etc/sysconfig/ /mnt/lvdata/
>
> I add a second drive to my volume group
>
> # vgextend vg_rh6 /dev/sdc1
>
> No physical volume label read from /dev/sdc1
> Physical volume "/dev/sdc1" successfully created
> Volume group "vg_rh6" successfully extended
>
> It shows up fine
>
> # pvs
> PV         VG     Fmt  Attr PSize  PFree
> /dev/sda2  vg_rh6 lvm2 a-   15.51g    0
> /dev/sdb1  vg_rh6 lvm2 a-    5.00g 4.75g
> /dev/sdc1  vg_rh6 lvm2 a-    4.00g 4.00g
>
> I create a new logical volume
>
> # lvcreate -L 300m -n lv_bkp vg_rh6
> Logical volume "lv_bkp" created
>
> And this shows up fine also
>
> # lvs
> LV       VG     Attr   LSize   Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
> lv_bkp   vg_rh6 -wi-a- 300.00m
> lv_datas vg_rh6 -wi-ao 252.00m
> lv_root  vg_rh6 -wi-ao  11.54g
> lv_swap  vg_rh6 -wi-ao   3.97g
>
> I don't know that this is a big deal, but I also format this new
> logical volume
>
> # mkfs.ext4 /dev/vg_rh6/lv_bkp
> mke2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
>
> Then I finally initiate pvmove
>
> # pvmove /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
>   /dev/sdb1: Moved: 2.2%
>   /dev/sdb1: Moved: 45.7%
>   /dev/sdb1: Moved: 100.0%
>
> Once it finishes I check the original physical volume and it says that
> it is empty.
>
> # pvdisplay /dev/sdb1
>   --- Physical volume ---
>   PV Name               /dev/sdb1
>   VG Name               vg_rh6
>   PV Size               5.00 GiB / not usable 4.00 MiB
>   Allocatable           yes
>   PE Size               4.00 MiB
>   Total PE              1279
>   Free PE               1279
>   Allocated PE          0
>   PV UUID               KqVMC0-cH8N-P0II-I27C-HFXF-sZIZ-o0LQUl
>
> The second physical volume shows to have data.
>
> # pvdisplay /dev/sdc1
>   --- Physical volume ---
>   PV Name               /dev/sdc1
>   VG Name               vg_rh6
>   PV Size               4.00 GiB / not usable 4.00 MiB
>   Allocatable           yes
>   PE Size               4.00 MiB
>   Total PE              1023
>   Free PE               885
>   Allocated PE          138
> [...]

Sorry about my previous e-mail. I guess I just had to think about it
and understand the concept of LVM and its layers.

I was mentality stuck at the fact that when you mount a logical volume
in LVM is *not* like mounting an actual disk partition (such as
/dev/sdb1). So running pvmove, I expected to see the identical data
yet on a separate logical volume.

I now understand that I can extend a volume group, move the data over
or logical extents using pvmove to the new physical volume or disk,
and this will take care of everything for me without having to unmount
the logical volume (such as /mnt/data).

At this point, I can use vgreduce to remove one of the disks or
physical volumes from the volume group. And remove it completely from
LVM using pvremove.

Ok, I believe its becoming more clear now thanks.

David-