Mike,

Here is the long answer (not exactly what you want, but will tell you exactly
if you can get there with your current mobo and bios):

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/

and more specifically the bios limits (and some tricks to work around some
bios issues) - one of the issues that I ran in to that this guy seems to have
figured out a way to get around is to run both gdisk and fdisk, but the fdisk
is just used for making a valid partition table to satisfy the bios, but is
not used for booting the system.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/bios.html#bios

Shorter here, but less coherent:

http://penguinpackets.com/~kelly/kblog/blog/01288983871

I usually use a current Sysrescuecd to set up partitions and just have Ubuntu
install to what I created with Sysrescue (YMMV).

Good luck!

Kelly