Relevant old story:  I had significant problems with my Qwest phone lines when I first moved to the Eagan edge of Apple Valley in
1986.  After several useless service calls, I contacted engineering friends who worked for AT&T to inquire about specs.  I find it
interesting to note that the couple had met when undergrads at MIT.  She, then a young mom, was a hardware engineer (he software),
who as a hobby interest had bought and assembled a small-town central office switching system in their garage.  Greg told me that
Carolyn would know my answer - and she did.  She had and sent the relevant spec pages, and pointed out that I could easily verify
the POTS spec with a DVM.  It was out of clearly way out of spec.

Turns out the phone company stands to lose their ICC-approved billing rates if caught and allowing out-of-spec operation.  My
service call reporting the out-of-spec data was almost instantly escalated to the engineering manager.  He was cordial, but
efficient.  When I told him the measurement and the spec page number, he said he would be at my house withing 1/2 hour, and he was -
along with two of his guys.  They confirmed the data, and he sent them off to a distribution box about 3 miles away while we "talked
shop".  Due to lots of new construction requiring many expansions to that box, they had over-extended lines (distance without
boosters) and had not had the needed boosters due to demand...and expense  My problems were all fixed within a few hours.  Had to
call again many months later for another problem.  Turned out one of the field guys had pinched a line in the cabinet door, leaving
it badly unbalanced.  Being on a first name basis with the manager got quick attention  :-)

DSL tests aren't as simple, but probably have similar force of ICC regulation behind them.  Likely that just claiming the DSL line
is out of spec and insisting on getting their measurement report from a qualified DSL service tech would be enough to get any needed
corrective action in the future.

Chuck