On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 3:09 PM, gregrwm <tclug1 at whitleymott.net> wrote:
> what's that 3rd jack on garden variety soundcards?

The three jacks are typically:

- stereo line out
- mic in
- stereo line in

At least that's what I've seen. Looking up the manual for your
specific card should show you exactly what it is.

> midi?

Doubtful.

> what cable do i need to connect to my yamaha PSR-275?

If you just want to dump audio into the computer (for recording,
processing, etc.) then you'll just need a quarter-inch stereo
(assuming the PSR-275 has a stereo output) to a 3.5mm mini stereo male
plug. If the keyboard has separate outputs for L and R then you'll
need some sort of wye adaptor.

If, on the other hand, you wanted to connect via MIDI, then you'll
need to get a USB MIDI adaptor (unless you're able to determine that
your soundcard can accept MIDI input.

-Erik