While I can't assist much with your direct question
(training/retraining)... I will say we've had remarkably good success
with ZyXEL brand DSL (DSLAMS and CPE Routers) compared to Zhone brand.
Actiontec seems to be pretty decent but a different router altogether
might make a difference for you.
I remember at one point I had a customer using a Netgear or 3Com brand
DSL for their Qwest DSL service. This was a number of years ago and
possibly could have been before the change to DMT.

Another couple of thoughts are line length to the DSLAM affects your
SNR, if your at the upper limit on length there may not be much that can
be done about the signal attenuation due to distance where even a little
noise can make a big difference.

Then lastly there are often times things you can do yourself about noise
depending on the source of the noise (or some of the noise). There are
various DSL test tools, possibly some you could find used for an
acceptable price that can help identify noise sources so you can try and
take protective action against those sources.
If you go down that road, a few test equipment brands to check out (in
no particular order): JDSU, Fluke, Noyes, and Exfo.
I think there are some places you can rent test equipment from too
though I've never actually looked into it, only heard of it.