On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 2:29 PM, gregrwm <tclug1 at whitleymott.net> wrote:
> any such thing as a fast retrain dsl modem, that would work with local centurylink lines?  my searches coughed up patents but not modems.

What type of DSL circuit is this for? Is it a "legacy" ADSL line? If
so, prepare for an uphill fight. As a side-effect of their VDSL2
service, they've increased by several orders of magnitude the amount
of crosstalk that happens between your demarc and the neighborhood
fiber POP. If you're a subscriber to the new service, this isn't a
problem, but if you have the old ADSL service, the signal from the
DSLAM is coming from much further away and is competing with crosstalk
from the neighborhood fiber POP in the copper bundle.

I went through this last spring at my house, and was unsuccessful in
trying to convince Qwest (at the time) to remedy the situation.

Is is rumored (on broadbandreports.com and elsewhere) that Century
Link is not putting any effort towards helping out ADSL customers with
poor SNR as an attempt to get them to upgrade to the VDSL2 service.

-Erik