On Thu, 24 Nov 2011, gk wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 12:00,  <tclug-list-request at mn-linux.org> wrote:
>>
>>   2. Migrating from Windows, barrier 1: DEs (Andrew Berg)
>

> Okay so you would rather be forced to have NO DE choice and no way to
> change it and something that breaks rather consistently?  Thought not..
>
> Linux is about choice....

It was a very trollish query.  I was tempted to recommend that he stick
with Windows, if he loves it so much.

It is good to hear which DEs people love best.  Maybe someone can tell us
what the trick is to switching from one to the other.  You wrote:

> I have tried at least 30, yes 30! DE/WM's So the only barriers are
> honestly imaginary.

If I'm sitting there in front of my machine, can't I just kill my DE
(Gnome 2, right now), drop to the console terminal and fire up another
one?  Can't I install on the system as many of them as I please?

When I used Solaris, it would have a login window that allowed me to
choose my window manager.  I could use Open Windows, KDE, Gnome, or a
couple of others that I had installed.  Does Linux do that, too?  It made
it easy in a multi-user environment for different users to choose
different desktop environments.

I'm using Ubuntu.  It booted into Gnome 2, so I used Gnome 2, which was
OK.  Now that they have Unity, I'm thinking about testing a few others to
see how I like them.  What's the easiest way to do that?

Mike