As much as I'd like to move from Windows, I have some issues. The first
barrier is the problems desktop environments are giving me.
GNOME is dead to me. GNOME 2 is ugly and probably not going to be
supported well, and GNOME 3 is even worse. I encountered it on an Ubuntu
live setup and absolutely hated it.
KDE is nice and comes with some great GUI utilities (they're a nice
crutch until I learn more CLI commands), but non-KDE programs look
downright awful. The solution to this seemed to be lxappearance (which
doesn't even require LXDE to be installed), but it screws up the KDE
'classic' application menu.
LXDE seems nice and lightweight, and because of lxappearance, I can get
a nice uniform look, but it lacks many of the nice GUI utilities that
KDE has. Also, its logo menu is not recreatable from the panel options.
Very odd.
Openbox seems to really mess KDE panels up.

Any suggestions to fix this? Perhaps a way to easily access KDE
utilities from an LXDE session? Perhaps some Openbox sorcery?