On Sat, 19 Nov 2011, J Cruit wrote:

> The religion you are missing is that it is based on the one true distro
> "Debian" that uses the package manager to rule them all "dpkg" with
> "apt" as the dpkg ring bearer.

Tht might be the "religion" that drives some users.  What do you think,
maybe 2% of them?  Most users don't know anything about all of that.  For
example, I've been using Ubuntu as my main system for about 3 years.  I
knew that it came from Debian and that Debian was really into maintaining
a free-software system.  I did like that but that wasn't what drove my
choice.  I also know that I mostly use Synaptic or apt-get to install
packages, but does that have something to do with dpkg?  I guess that's
what you are saying but I didn't know that and I don't care.  All that
matters to me is that I click the buttons and the software is installed
and it works.

> In truth I always thought a distro based on Debian was the way to go for
> the simple fact that is is so easy to maintain and upgrade (as long as
> you keep away from the funkier apt sources).
>
> So Ubuntu was that, now maybe Mint is it.  Mostly though I use Backtrack
> which moved to a Debian base as well.

Is there something with packages that Ubuntu used to do but it has since
stopped doing?  If a distro is "easy to maintain and upgrade," than I
guess you don't have to be "religious" to want to use it.

Mike