The religion you are missing is that it is based on the one true
distro "Debian" that uses the package manager to rule them all "dpkg"
with "apt" as the dpkg ring bearer.

In truth I always thought a distro based on Debian was the way to go
for the simple fact that is is so easy to maintain and upgrade (as
long as you keep away from the funkier apt sources).

So Ubuntu was that, now maybe Mint is it.  Mostly though I use
Backtrack which moved to a Debian base as well.

--j

Praise be to Debian in all it's glory!