On Fri, 18 Nov 2011, Timothy Aanerud wrote:

> Organizing a group meeting over the net is horrifically complicated.
> There are just too many variables. It's much easier for a leader to pick
> a date, time and place.  Then the decision process becomes binary.  Can
> I make it or not?  If you can great.  If you can't, maybe next time.
>
> I ran into this problem long ago on usenet on the message group
> rec.aviation.

I think we should just allow anyone who wants to, at any time, decide to
have a social meeting, say where they'll be (the person announcing has to
show up!), and then we're done.  If the person calling the meeting wants
to use some kind of web page to get an idea of how many people actually
are going to show up, they can do that, but it wouldn't be a requirement.

In the past we've had the Tux penguin mascot on display (probably a plush
toy) so that people can walk over to the right table(s) without having to
ask every geeky-looking guy in the place if he's there for TCLUG.

Mike