Jason,
I was big into Drupal from about 2005-2007. I then moved to a job
where Magento was the main website platform (we also used Wordpress).
Magento helped me see what a mess Drupal was.

If you're looking for a PHP based system to build out a website, at
this juncture, I would look first at frameworks (Zend Framework,
CodeIgniter, CakePHP, Symphony), and then to CMS packages that use
those frameworks (such as PyroCMS, which uses CodeIgniter).

Most websites that I've worked on fit into a general category (blog,
CMS, e-commerce site), but they inevitably needed some kind of
extension. As a developer, I find I'm in the strongest position when I
have a full fledged framework at my disposal, rather than a plugin or
extension model as you'll find with Wordpress or Drupal.

But, I could be wrong. It's been a long time since I have worked with
Drupal, and it's possible that they've improved things. Whatever you
decide to do, good luck!

-Erik